Ride report: Bealach-na-Ba

Tim Downie

Jul 30, 2006, 12:12:06 PM7/30/06
Just back from Inverness after taking part in the organised sportif over the
Bealach-na-Ba, starting from Kinlochewe, up to Achnasheen and then down to
Lochcarron, over the Bealach-na-Ba to Applecross and then back to Kinlochewe
via Torridon. (http://bealach-na-ba.co.uk/bealach-na-ba/index.htm) 90
miles and 9,600 ft of climbing. What could be more fun? ;-)

This was the first running of this event and having driven over the pass a
long time ago, it's long been in my mind to cycle over it one day. This
event gave me the perfect excuse.

Kinlochewe was heaving with cyclists and their vehicles on Saturday morning
but somehow, the organisers had found space for everyone and the main roads
were kept clear. As the start time approached we all (500 or so) packed
into the carpark of the village hall where registration took place. The
organisation was really excellent and we were swiftly ranked into groups
according to our estimated finishing time. At 9:00am sharp, the first group
set off and we were dispatched in groups of 100 at 1 minute intervals.

I was riding my touring bike as I had no illusions about my hill climbing
abilities and was certain that I'd need my triple chainset. A lot of road
bikes sported triple chainsets as well so it would seem that I wasn't the
only wimp there. ;-) One chap arrived with a single speed bike! At first I
thought it was a fixie but he admitted to having a freewheel so he was
obviously another softy. Whilst I had to admire his b*lls at even
contemplating this route on a single speed bike I strongly suspect that he
didn't make the cut-off times.

The climb out of Kinlochewe to Achnasheen wasn't too bad and I was very
conscious of not wanting to expend too much energy too early in the day but
it's had to resist the temptation to chase down packs of cyclists ahead of
you for the tow. ;-) The next challenge was to beat the 10:30 train at the
level crossing between Achnasheen and Lochcarron. Made it with a few
minutes to spare and avoided being held up, not that that would have made
much difference in the big scheme of things, but it was nice to beat it.

At the south end of Lochcarron, the road starts climbing steeply and I was
on my granny ring in an instant. ;-) After about a mile of climbing
http://tinyurl.com/n38jo I was telling myself that tough though it was, it
was at least a start up the pass. No sooner said than undone though. All
that height was lost and we plummeted back to sea level. As soon as we
turned the corner into the hill road (http://tinyurl.com/olaly) our RFD
"dibbers" were dibbed and the climb proper started.

I've never ridden any serious climbs like this so whilst my ambition was to
do it without dismounting, I wasn't going to be too heartbroken if I didn't
make it. It's a steady grind that just seems to go on forever. I just kept
winding the pedals round and was within spitting distance of the last two
hairpins (http://tinyurl.com/porlc Arrow marks my demise) when I lost the
will to live and just had to dismount (along with a lot of other cyclists).
200m later and I was able to re-mount and cycle the hairpins. So near but
so far! That was the one and only time I pushed my bike although the
temptation was pretty strong on several of the later climbs.

Anyway, the summit duly arrived and we were dibbed again before our descent
to Applecross. What a scream! (Almost literally). In no time at all I was
plummeting at horrendous speed, doing my best to balance thrill and
prudence. There was an awful lot of kinetic energy to be turned into heat
and visions of exploding tyres kept my speed down a bit. Still managed to
hit 49 mph though. ;-)
A lot of riders suffered punctures on the way down, presumably from
overheated tyres but I made it through the day innertubo-intacta.

After Applecross came the coastal road to Shiedaig
(http://tinyurl.com/rqq9l) which is anything but flat. It climbs and swoops
in a demented fashion. A moderately strong headwind sprung up as well and
we had to battle this more or less all the way home. The views across to
Skye and then across Loch Torridon were wonderful but sadly I was getting a
bit to knackered to really appreciate them. At the village of Torridon the
marshals cheerily shouted "Just 10 more miles!" but it had started raining
and I would have happily finished there. Still, the rain didn't last long
and it was only slightly lumpy from here on back to Kinlochewe and the 10
miles disappeared slowly but surely under my wheels.

It was a lovely feeling to reach the end, fall off my bike and get dibbed
for the last time. After that it was a short stagger back into the hall,
collect my coffee and buns and get my dibber removed. Amazingly they
immediately handed me my times and splits along with a certificate. (FWIW,
2:11 from Kinlochewe to the bottom of the hill (by the arrow
http://tinyurl.com/g9b8y) 1:06 for the ascent and 7:16 for the whole thing.

We were all handed a cloakroom ticket for a bowl of bean stew from the local
hotel. This was served outside and went down a treat. After that I headed
back to Inverness but there was a ceilidh in the evening for those folk with
left over energy.

All in all an excellent event. Great organisation, great scenery, great
atmosphere. Not sure I'd do it again (cycling isn't my main sport) but
really glad I did do it and would heartily recommend it assuming it's
repeated next year.

Tim

David Martin

Jul 30, 2006, 1:03:56 PM7/30/06

Tim Downie wrote:
> Just back from Inverness after taking part in the organised sportif over the
> Bealach-na-Ba, starting from Kinlochewe, up to Achnasheen and then down to
> Lochcarron, over the Bealach-na-Ba to Applecross and then back to Kinlochewe
> via Torridon. (http://bealach-na-ba.co.uk/bealach-na-ba/index.htm) 90
> miles and 9,600 ft of climbing. What could be more fun? ;-)

Fantastic RR. Really good to get an impression of the day.

..d

Rob Oldfield

Jul 30, 2006, 1:56:49 PM7/30/06
There's way too many contour lines on those maps. It made my legs hurt just
looking at them.

gol...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2006, 2:38:18 PM7/30/06
I went up Bealach na Ba a few years ago on a tour, and into a gale. It
was unbelievably difficult and I had to get off twice for a breather,
but did it all on the bike. Even with no wind I think it would be
fiendishly difficult.
It means "The way of the cows". In Irish it would be Bealach na mBó,
or Bealach na mBa, depending on dialect.

I love cycling in Scotland. My favourite place.
I live in Cork

Andrew

Jul 30, 2006, 3:23:42 PM7/30/06

"Tim Downie" <timdow...@obvious.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Just back from Inverness after taking part in the organised sportif over
the Bealach-na-Ba,

Blinkin well done, I too rode the event and will eventually post a long
winded ride epic on the Stewartry wheelers website. To ride it in that time,
(well, to ride it all) was excellent. Cycling 'is' my sport and I got around
in 5 hours and did the climb in 37 mins, but have to say it was an absolute
tough day, after riding this years Fred whitton, I felt this was harder, so
good effort from all the riders. The climb was endless, thankfully they
closed the road to cars although I'm too much of a scaredy cat for the
descents. The hardest part was the final 10 miles up the valley along Bein
Eighe, not much of a hill perhaps but with a headwind it was a pig. After
tea, bean stew I started to drive back to my hotel in sheildaig but had to
pass so many riders who were grimacing and as the rain had just started, I
thought 'blast it', pulled over and gave encouragement to those riders
coming in, looking at your time, I suspect you were one of the riders I
cheered in.
I'll be back next year, I'll try and persuade Mr Brooke to try it, that's
one descent he would love:)
Andrew

David Martin

Jul 30, 2006, 3:32:18 PM7/30/06

Andrew wrote:

> I'll be back next year, I'll try and persuade Mr Brooke to try it, that's
> one descent he would love:)

I might try to get fit enough for it as well..

..d

bob watkinson

Jul 30, 2006, 3:53:24 PM7/30/06

Nice report Tim. Out of interest did you see any tandems enroute?

Tim Downie

Jul 30, 2006, 4:00:49 PM7/30/06

"bob watkinson" <bob.wa...@virgin.net> wrote in message

> Nice report Tim. Out of interest did you see any tandems enroute?

Just the one. I was rather concerned when it came past me on the descent
wth brakes screeching. I had visions of flaming rims with all that kinetic
energy to shed as they didn't have discs or an extra drag brake that I could
see. Still, they got down okay so I guess they must know the flash point of
their tyres better than I know mine. ;-)

No recumbents either before anyone asks.

Tim

rhnb

Jul 30, 2006, 4:31:51 PM7/30/06
I'll just add my 2p worth.
Just got back myself (a 700 mile round trip).

I though it was a fantastic event. Throughly enjoyed it. Had no idea how
long it was going to take me so put myself down in the 7-8hour slot. Ended
up with 6hrs 22 which I was well pleased with. Hopefully I'll have a few
good photos too.

I must say I didn't find the climb of Bealach anywhere near as bad as I
thought it would be. Yes, it's long, but it's not gut bustingly steep like
yer Hradknott and Wrynose. The bit that absoloutely pole-axed me was the
roller coaster ride up around the north of the Applecross peninsula, and
then that final drag up from Torridon into a headwind.

Must comment on the friendliness of the locals and the car drivers - yes -
the car drivers! From what I saw they were superb. People clapping and
cheering at the side of the road as you past through these small hamlets.
Car drivers winding their windows down and applauding. Stopping in passing
places witing for you to come past. Cycling heaven!

On the tandem subject...
I was supposed to be doing this with a mate of mine on a tandem, but other
commitments meant he couldn't make it.
Would like to try it on it next year. I reckon the Bealach will be OK on
it, but that peninsula roller coaster will be torture. Probably be a good 8
hour plus ride I would think. At least it has a disc brake though. I can;t
imaging descending the Bealach on a tandem with just V brakes. The rims
would melt!!

Anyone see how the chap riding the single speed got on? Can't remember his
number. Now that would be some ride!

Someone said they thought it was harder than the Fred Whitton?
Funny you should say that. When I finished I said to a friend of mine - I
think that was harder than the Fred Whitton, but a different sort of 'hard'.
Having had time to reflect on that, perhaps not. I can't really compare it
yet I don't suppose as we did the Fred on a tandem. I've had a few months
to forget the pain of reaching the foot of Hardknott with 100 miles in my
legs ;-))

So, all in all, a bloody fantastic day. A BIG thankyou to the organisers
and more importantly the locals dotted around the whole course, who made the
event in my opinion. Hell, with that enthusiasm it was like riding in
France or Italy! - but without traffic ;-)

Cheeers... Allan.
~~~
http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
Cycling Before Lycra

Tim Downie

Jul 30, 2006, 5:03:45 PM7/30/06

"rhnb" <a-ne...@modomail.com> wrote in message

> I'll just add my 2p worth.
> Just got back myself (a 700 mile round trip).
>
> I though it was a fantastic event. Throughly enjoyed it. Had no idea how
> long it was going to take me so put myself down in the 7-8hour slot.
> Ended
> up with 6hrs 22 which I was well pleased with. Hopefully I'll have a few
> good photos too.

Looking forward to seeing them! (Bl**dy good time too). I think this has
the makings of a "classic" event. Fingers crossed that it becomes a regular
feature.

> I must say I didn't find the climb of Bealach anywhere near as bad as I
> thought it would be. Yes, it's long, but it's not gut bustingly steep
> like
> yer Hradknott and Wrynose.

Had I been just a bit better prepared, |I'm sure I could have managed it. I
found it hard but then I'm not in the greatest shape just now.

> The bit that absoloutely pole-axed me was the
> roller coaster ride up around the north of the Applecross peninsula, and
> then that final drag up from Torridon into a headwind.

I knew that bit was coming so I wasn't surprised by it, just knackered by
it. ;-)

> Must comment on the friendliness of the locals and the car drivers - yes -
> the car drivers! From what I saw they were superb. People clapping and
> cheering at the side of the road as you past through these small hamlets.
> Car drivers winding their windows down and applauding. Stopping in
> passing
> places witing for you to come past. Cycling heaven!

Yep. The whole event had a really nice atmosphere generated by the
participants, the organisers and the spectators.

> On the tandem subject...
> I was supposed to be doing this with a mate of mine on a tandem, but other
> commitments meant he couldn't make it.
> Would like to try it on it next year. I reckon the Bealach will be OK on
> it, but that peninsula roller coaster will be torture. Probably be a good
> 8
> hour plus ride I would think. At least it has a disc brake though. I
> can;t
> imaging descending the Bealach on a tandem with just V brakes. The rims
> would melt!!

That was my worry when they came past me. I guess they knew their limits
though. No smoking wreckage at the bottom of the hill when I arrived.

> Anyone see how the chap riding the single speed got on? Can't remember
> his number. Now that would be some ride!

I'm curious about him too. I find it had to believe that he completed it
within the cutoff times but I hope he did.

> Someone said they thought it was harder than the Fred Whitton?
> Funny you should say that. When I finished I said to a friend of mine - I
> think that was harder than the Fred Whitton, but a different sort of
> 'hard'.
> Having had time to reflect on that, perhaps not. I can't really compare
> it
> yet I don't suppose as we did the Fred on a tandem. I've had a few months
> to forget the pain of reaching the foot of Hardknott with 100 miles in my
> legs ;-))
>
> So, all in all, a bloody fantastic day. A BIG thankyou to the organisers
> and more importantly the locals dotted around the whole course, who made
> the
> event in my opinion. Hell, with that enthusiasm it was like riding in
> France or Italy! - but without traffic ;-)

The organisers did a brilliant job and the locals were great. Lets hope
that they get enough positive feedback to do it again.

Tim

rhnb

Jul 30, 2006, 6:19:11 PM7/30/06

I'll certainly be mailing that in...@bealach-na-ba.co.uk to thank them, but
thought it would be nice if there was somw way I could write to the local
council/town hall/whatever the Scottish equivalent is to say what a bloody
good event it was and how great it was to see the locals getting right
behind it and making it such a success. If anyone knows who I could write
to I'd appreciate it.

Oh and what about the young lad playing the pipes at the start. He was a
bit good don't you think?

Cheeers... Allan.

Simon Brooke

Jul 30, 2006, 6:43:45 PM7/30/06
in message <44cd073e$1...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Andrew
('NOSPAMPLE...@freeuk.com') wrote:

> I'll be back next year, I'll try and persuade Mr Brooke to try it,
> that's one descent he would love:)

Mr Brooke was thinking of you. In fact I very nearly phoned you up last
week and said 'any room in the car?', but I assumed you'd be taking
Alison.

Congrats - brilliant effort.

--
si...@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those
who are now possible remain possible -- Michael Bakunin

Tim Downie

Jul 31, 2006, 4:33:39 AM7/31/06
rhnb wrote:
> I'll certainly be mailing that in...@bealach-na-ba.co.uk to thank
> them, but thought it would be nice if there was somw way I could
> write to the local council/town hall/whatever the Scottish equivalent
> is to say what a bloody good event it was and how great it was to see
> the locals getting right behind it and making it such a success. If
> anyone knows who I could write to I'd appreciate it.

That crossed my mind too. This is probably a good place to start.
http://www.wester-ross.com/communities/lochcarroncc.htm.

> Oh and what about the young lad playing the pipes at the start. He
> was a bit good don't you think?

Hmm... I like my bagpipes on a distant hillside. A *very* distant
hillside. ;-)

Tim

David Damerell

Jul 31, 2006, 10:10:27 AM7/31/06
Quoting Tim Downie <timdow...@obvious.yahoo.co.uk>:
>"bob watkinson" <bob.wa...@virgin.net> wrote in message
>>Nice report Tim. Out of interest did you see any tandems enroute?
>Just the one. I was rather concerned when it came past me on the descent
>wth brakes screeching.

Our front brake makes an ungodly squeal even with the lightest pressure.
They may not have been braking flat-out...
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Epithumia, July - a weekend.

Tim Downie

Aug 2, 2006, 3:50:11 AM8/2/06
Tim Downie wrote:
> One chap arrived with a
> single speed bike! At first I thought it was a fixie but he admitted
> to having a freewheel so he was obviously another softy. Whilst I
> had to admire his b*lls at even contemplating this route on a single
> speed bike I strongly suspect that he didn't make the cut-off times.

I'm delighted to report that I was wrong! He did make it.

Results now available on http://bealach-na-ba.co.uk/bealach%2Dna%2Dba/

Tim

Simon Brooke

Aug 2, 2006, 4:35:45 AM8/2/06
in message <4jb3omF...@individual.net>, Tim Downie
('timdow...@obvious.yahoo.co.uk') wrote:

37th, I see, Andrew. You're slipping :-)

Congratulations all of you - that was one hell of a ride.

;; 'I think we should trust our president in every decision
;; that he makes and we should just support that'
;; Britney Spears of George W Bush, CNN 04:09:03

Andrew

Aug 2, 2006, 3:47:42 PM8/2/06

"Simon Brooke" <si...@jasmine.org.uk> insultingly wrote in message

> 37th, I see, Andrew. You're slipping :-)

Yeah, well, but, not bothered, technically 35th if you dont count the women
that beat me, umm, so?

I expect it was the large whisly I had on the top of bealach or the tray
bakes in Sheildaig that done for me or the fact that I spent too much time
preening in front of any camera (search for rider 214 on the offical
pictures page)

As it was offically not a race it was very surprising how the two groups
that set off before me rode as hard as they could, trust me, two bunches of
100 riders giving it big licks is hard to catch, mind you next year I'll
take the 'bus', that will even things up! (in house stewartry wheelers
joke, viz very large and powerful chap we know, aka the bus)

rhnb

Aug 2, 2006, 5:21:44 PM8/2/06
There was a guy rode it on fixed. 8hrs 12 mins.

Now that's a hell of a ride.

Allan.

job...@spam_less_hotmail.com

Aug 3, 2006, 3:47:19 AM8/3/06
On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 22:21:44 +0100, "rhnb" <a-ne...@modomail.com>
wrote:
[snip all]

Johnstone Wheelers club member "balamory" at -

http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=10634&sid=dd240fe7b38851307a4416dc0dfa6340#10634

says

QUOTE
calling nos 94 and 108. My wife got a piccy of you both at Shieldaig.
If you want a copy give me a shout
UNQUOTE